Global drinking water scenario
A large number of developing countries populations are in dire need of affordable and effective water disinfection solutions, which can be used and distributed on a micro-level, in areas that are not at present being serviced by existing infrastructure or capacity.
Globally, approximately 2 billion people boil water for drinking or cooking purposes using wood or other energy sources. These energy sources generate air pollutants that contribute to climate change and negatively impact health.
- 780 million people do not have access to an improved water source.
- 2,5 billion people do not have access to sanitation (35% of the world population).
- 850 000 people die each year from lack of access to good water, sanitation and hygiene. Of these, 360 000 are children under the age of 5 years who die from diseases like diarrhea, cholera, dysentery and typhoid fever.
South Africa scenario
South Africa has an above average incidence of total Water, Sanitation & Health (WSH) and diarrhoeal related diseases and deaths, as well as disability-adjusted life years as a result of unsafe drinking water. South Africa has between 5 and 6 million people not having access to improved water.
Point-of-Use water disinfection product
OLGENSTINE developed a Point-of-Use Chlorine FREE drinking water disinfection product called M2 Purewater, that is cost effective, non-toxic and human and environmentally friendly All components used in M2 Purewater is on the GRAS (generally recognized as safe) list of the FDA.
M2 PureWater is a free-flowing granular product soluble in water. The primary by-products in the reduction of M2 PureWater are water and sulphate, making it one of the safest disinfectants available.
M2 PureWater is packed in an easy-to-use 8g sachet for everyday use (one sachet disinfects 20-25 litres of highly contaminated water). Various other packaging options can be entertained depending on the needs of a specific application.
M2 PureWater Proposed Contribution Model
OLGENSTINE will supply M2 PureWater products at a reduced cost to participating Companies as part of the M2 PureWater CSI Contribution Model. Sponsor Companies are invited to participate in one of two ways, or a combination of the following:
For a sponsorship/donation of less than 2 million sachets of M2 Purewater product to beneficiaries, the standard OLGENSTINE house-brand will apply.
For a sponsorship/donation of more than 2 million sachets of M2 PureWater product to beneficiaries, M2 PureWater sachets and packaging may be re branded under the participating enterprises’ private brand at no extra cost.
This commitment will ensure at least 5,000 families enjoy safe drinking water per year with 5-10 sustainable job opportunities being created, while it will enable participating enterprises to utilize a portion of marketing budgets as part of the annual CSI spend.
As part of the Olgenstine Corporate Social Investment initiative up to 10% of Net Profit after Tax, will be sponsored to a Welfare Organization chosen by the Sponsor Company.
These products will be distributed via the following possible channels:
- Various existing communities and other trusts that already provide services and products to beneficiaries in the target areas
- Other private sector channels,
- Department of Health; Department of Water and Sanitation and or Environmental Affairs structures and agencies; and
- NGO (non-governmental organizations) channels.